Friday, December 29, 2006

Finally able to use the damn phone again

Lost a couple of my O2 simcards back in early October. Then, from a former experience, I specifically told O2 that I just lost the sims when I called to report it lost, NOT the phones and asked them to block only the sim cards and not the phone itself, before I could get new ones. Then, as stupid as O2 gets, they blocked the IMEI of my Nokia 8800 phone, although the phone was not registered or associated with the lost sims. I got the phone with another contract. Their excuse was, the phone was blocked because it was last used with the sims - somehow they got the IMEI number of the phone whenever you restart the phone with a sim and then got associated.

That was the start of a three-months battle to get my phone usable again. FYI, there's a centralised system in the UK, where, when a phone reported stolen or lost, the IMEI number of the phone was entered into the system and then blocked across all networks in the country. This is also widely known as 'Blacklisting'. Then, whats gonna happen is, the next morning you'll wake up next to your unusable phone which appears to not receive any signals. If you restart the phone, it will display "Sim Card Registration Failed". For a Motorola phone, it will appear as "Unregistered Sim" (Yes, has happened to me before) No calls can be made in or out, except emergency calls only, of course.

Thats what happens if you report your phone lost or stolen here in the UK. If you're gonna fraudulently report your phone lost, and claim the insurance to get a new one, send the old phone back to Malaysia where it should be able to be used again (applicable to Malaysians who 'sometimes' like this option). Such system does not exist yet in Malaysia. Kalau phone kena ragut ngan Mat Rempit tu, redha je la. But thats maybe not for long, because there are talks that they gonna try to centralise the system across the world. But I really doubt thats gonna happen anyway.

Okay, to my story then. Since the first day that I discovered that my phone was blocked, I have been calling 02 to try to unblock it. Every time I called they say they have sent forms to the network department that deals with blacklisting, and says that its gonna be resolved in 3 to 5 days. Then 5 days passed and still nothing happens. I called them again. Same thing promised but still Im waiting for nothing to happen. But I kept on calling, never gave up, after all this is my Nokia 8800 which I waited for nearly a year for its price to come down before I could buy it. It must have been over 20 calls or more, week after week, and I felt like calling them family now. haha. Empty promises goes on, until last week, which was 3 months later.

That morning, I restarted my phone and then 'O2-UK' appears! Finally.

NB: Ape daa anti-klimaks nyer citer. hampeh. Tp tensen tgh tunggu gaji masuk nih. Penat baru balik keje. malas nak type dah.
Moral of the story: dont get ur phone blacklisted - it'll get to ur nerves, a damn nuisance.

No comments: