Saturday, December 03, 2005

Goodbye, You Served Me Well


L256HUD - in its prime
Well, went to the garage today to find out that the car's gotta be scrapped. Quick. The head gasket's blown, leaving the engine oil mixed up with the cooling water from the radiator. Thats why the temperature gone up so high, well over the red line. Basically to repair it costs around £400 with no certainty that it'll be fixed by then. The mechanic told me its advisible to swap the entire engine, which new used engine costs around £220 and hearing it I thought "yeah I could live with that". Not before he told me the total price with other parts and labour costs which brings the total to around £600. Well, to be frank I think its not worth the hassle and I'm better off buying a new one instead. Doing some serious car hunting now and there's a few that caught my eye, and there's a big fat chance of me getting a new car before next week. And now its Saturday night.
In general I think the car has served me well for nearly one and a half since I bought it on 21 April 2004. To be exact my life's changed with the car's presence. Haha as you can tell I'm getting cheesy at this moment, but its my first car and i think I'm entitled to be all emotional about it. Before I owned the car, I used to have to wait for the friggin unreliable Number 4 bus in the coldness of winter, the only service that passed by my home in my first year. Its so unreliable I have to wait on average around one and a half hours before the bus showed up and sometimes it even came smiling with the "No Service" sign on its forehead. Couldn't stand it anymore by April, I bought the car in Chippenham and drove it on the motorway straight to Cardiff - not even stopping by in Bristol although its on the way.
Spent some money on the car maintaining it, changed the tyres (£100), alternator (£200), clutch and water pump (£400) and usual minor car-maintaining procedures. But the inevitable has happened and the car is dying on me now. Although its not new when I got it, I bought it with with my own hard-earned money, its my first car and I loved it, it gets me to places but I guess its time for me to move on. I'll have to let it go. Ecehhhhhhh...

No comments: